Sunday, November 7, 2010

Quick and Dirty: Fried Bean Tomatoes


If you folks are absentmindedly glancing at this, you know I enjoy taking my time when I cook, especially considering how often I use my beloved crock pot. Even still, there are days when I come home after being at the law school for almost 10 hours and just say "Fuck it, I need something hot and I need it NOW." This is where recipes like this one come in. They're easy, they're cheap, they're delicious. Three of my favorite adjectives in the world.

And so without further ado...

Fried Bean Tomatoes

Source: A Man, A Can, A Plan (Yes, this is a real cookbook, and yes, it rocks.)

Ingredients:


- 14.5-oz can original or barbecue baked beans
- 2 10-oz cans Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies (My Giant Eagle mysteriously stopped selling these recently, but other ones still sell 'em. Hunt them down, because they are so worth it.)
- 7-oz can low-sodium, whole kernel corn
- 1.5 cups instant white rice
- 1 cup water

Incredibly Complex Steps:

How do you start this up?






Dump it all in. The beans, the tomatoes, the corn, the rice, the water. Every last one of 'em. Gary Oldman demands it.



Now bring it to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover it, and simmer for 10 minutes. Boom. Done. I like to season mine with a little hot sauce, so I decided to go straight for the classiest one in my pantry.


You aren't reading that wrong, it really is called Hemorrhoid Helper, and I swear it's some of the best habanero sauce I've ever had. In fact, you should go buy some right now. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Oh right, the food. It's really tasty! Very filling, considering the complete lack of meat, and a nice bit of kick thanks to the green chilies and the hot sauce. This is one of my favorite budget meals for a reason.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment